The McMaster Innovation Showcase 2012 poster competition is your chance to show an audience of investors and technology scouts how your research could change the world.
The poster competition is open to all faculty, staff and students at McMaster, HHS and SJHH, and the deadline for submission of abstracts is
May 30 June 5, 2012. Abstracts selected for poster presentation will be notified by June 6, 2012.
The top poster in each of our three categories (greatest commercial potential, greatest social impact, and most groundbreaking research) will be awarded a $500 prize. Posters will be judged partially by a panel of invited experts. This year the poster competition will allow attendees to vote as well.
Guidelines for Posters
Judges will look for innovative ideas that solve tangible problems. The posters are expected to describe inventions or ideas and must address the following questions:
- What is the problem are you trying to solve with your invention?
- How big is the need for a solution to the problem?
- Who are the end users / customers of the solution?
- How will the end users / customers benefit from the solution?
- What is your solution to the problem?
- What technology is being used to create the solution?
- What are the advantages of your technology? Is it better/faster/cheaper, or is there no solution yet?
- What is the current state of the solution or invention
Posters should be no larger than 48 inches square. Poster boards will be available for you to tack your poster to. (You will not need to pre-mount your poster.) Accepted posters should be installed before 8:30a.m. on June 27 in CIBC Hall, McMaster University Student Centre (third floor).
It is important to remember that the Innovation Showcase is essentially a public forum, and as such, you should be careful that you do not include in your presentation enabling information that is not already protected by intellectual property protection of some kind, for example, a provisional patent application. If you are unclear about what information is protected, please consult your supervisor or a Business Development Officer.