Community is everything!
That’s what a StartupNorth.ca user said in January 2010 when describing their move from Hamilton to Ottawa in the comments of this article by David (@davidcrow) about the value of community. The user went on…
“If I had stayed in Hamilton I would have met none of these people and not been energized as I have been by joining the groundswell of exciting tech. that I have in Ottawa. I cannot emphasize enough how empowering it is to be part of a tight tech. community that goes the extra mile for one another. If you don’t have that yet, move to where there is one, you will not regret it.”
Software Hamilton was created with the aim of uniting the Greater Hamilton software community.
- Organizes DemoCampHamilton, StartupDrinks and sometimes other events.
- Operates at the grassroots level… all work is done volunteer and sponsorship is only used for event costs.
- Publicizes all things tech in Hamilton through its blog, calendar, directory and newsletter.
- Functions as a community platform – you can register on Software Hamilton to blog or post relevant events to the calendar, see here for instructions.
- Encourages others in Hamilton to take up organizing grassroots technology events and supports those who do. Check out the Guide to organizing a grassroots tech event in Hamilton, and Software startup events we don’t have yet in Hamilton. Come out to a StartupDrinks event in particular and we will give whatever advice and support that we can to help you.
- Believes that software development is a creative skill which can provide relatively clean, high-paying jobs with work that can make the world a better place to live. We believe that Free online resources for learning programming, computer science offer a new path to these great jobs, and that in addition to activities aimed at getting more adults to learn computer science, more grassroots activities should be conducted to inspire our children to become digital innovators too. Ultimately we need more than a united community, we need a growing community.
Regular Article Contributors
Alex Pineda (@brainyweb) – tech education
Gavin Schulz (@GSMaverick) – open data
Jim Rudnick (@JVRudnick) – startups, community, SEO
Nick Bontis (@NickBontis) – business, startup profiles
Stephanie Goodman (@StephLGoodman, @vapartners) – marketing
Stephanie McLarty (@REstephmcl, @REfficient) – startups, entrepreneurism, greentech
StartupDrinks Lead Organizers