When: Thursday April 26th 2018 from 7:00pm to 9:00pm
Where: CoMotion on King at 115 King St East, Hamilton, ON
Organizer: Hamilton WordPress Meetup
This is a workshop for anyone who is thinking about speaking at WordPress events, such as WordPress Meetups and WordCamps. During this hands-on session, weâ€™ll look at what has stopped you from speaking in the past â€” and explore how to move past your fears. We will discuss some common myths about public speaking, different talk formats, and we will focus on finding your areas of expertise (yes, you have areas of expertise!). We will brainstorm topics you can talk about at a WordCamp or other event.
Each participant will come out of the workshop with a WordCamp or Meetup talk idea â€” and more confidence to submit it.
The main purpose is to encourage those in underrepresented groups (LGBTQ+, Persons with Disabilities, Women in Tech, etc.) to submit talks and have our WordCamp and other events more representative of a community. While this meetup is targeted at these groups, it is open to anyone who needs help in coming up with a topic for their talk, a title and a pitch.
We’ll hopefully explore the actual talk specifics at a later date, but the deadline for WordCamp Hamilton’s Speaker Submissions is May 1, 2018!
You do NOT have to have any experience in public speaking. This workshop is for all levels of experience.
**This workshop is for you if:**
* Youâ€™ve thought about speaking at Meetup or WordCamp but havenâ€™t been able to think of a topic
* You think you don’t know anything worth speaking about
* Why speak at WordPress events?
* Dispelling some myths about speakers/speaking
* Coming up with topics and choosing one
* Practice giving a short talk
* The venue has an elevator, and single stall washrooms for non-binary genders.
* Please do not wear scents. Many people are allergic to them.